Monday, January 30, 2012

Money in Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe gave up its own currency when it went through a period of hyperinflation in about 2006-2008.  The South African rand and the US dollar are the currencies recognized since that time.  In the past year there’s been talk of substituting the Chinese yuan for the dollar as Zimbabwe pulls closer to China economically, but that would be a major change, requiring more organizational effort than I think the country is prepared to put into something that’s not necessary.

The first thing I noticed when I got here is how grubby the money is!  In our country, most of the bills in use here would’ve been retired long ago.  I’m on a cash economy here, because I was advised that the hassles of banking in Zimbabwe for foreigners are not worth undertaking for a 4 ½ month stay.  When I went to my home bank to get cash (nothing larger than a $20, and mostly $10’s and $5’s), they gave me a bunch of brand new bills.  Boy, do they stick out here—they tag me as a foreigner immediately!  The bills in Zimbabwe are a whole different texture--almost like cloth-- from extreme use.  Here's a photo of a typical bill I got in Zimbabwe above one I brought from home (that wasn't new):


The second thing I found out is that very few places give change.  If my bill comes to $12.74, I’ll be offered a piece or two of candy instead of the change, and at the grocery store if my bill is $12. 12 cents, I can ask for a voucher to be used for the $.88 credit at that store at a later time.  At all other stores, purchases are always in even dollars (easy, because nothing is taxed) to avoid the issue.  Gasoline is pumped by the dollar, not by the volume.   I’ve seen exactly three coins since I came, all South African.  And to think that in the United States, elimination of the penny is an issue!

No comments:

Post a Comment