Monday, January 16, 2012

Getting Organized at AU

I've been having some difficulty with my blog, and have done one long posting that is currently at maggiefreese.blogspot.com.  If I get enough time and internet access (a much bigger issue) I'll transfer it over.  In the meantime, you can look at it there and know that in the future I intend to use this blog, maggie-freese.blogspot.com. 

Today is theoretically the second day of classes.  I know some of you know that I was fretting that I didn't know how long the class periods were, so couldn't do a syllabus for either of my courses.  It turns out that classes aren't scheduled in an invariant block of time.  This is because there are some visiting faculty who come for short periods of time.  So, for example, I've already been told that I can't use my usual times, or any other time, to meet with my graduate class during the 3rd week.  A faculty member who will visit for that week will be doing six-eight hour days with the second-year students in the public health graduate program that week.  Each group (e.g. first year MPH students, third year undergraduates in reproductive health management) is assigned a classroom, and each elects a class representative to negotiate their time with all the faculty they have this semester.  (Only it's not quite that simple because there aren't as many classrooms as programs, so sometimes their space is assigned to another group and another room must be found for them, scheduled on an ad hoc basis.)  The requirement for a 3-credit class is that I meet with students for 45 hours over the course of the semester, during times to be negotiated with students, through their representative, around their other priorities.

I scheduled a first meeting with the students in each of my classes for yesterday.  One grad student showed up, and all indications are that the class is sitting out until at least tomorrow so as not to start without some of their members present, who aren't back from vacation yet.  I'm going to try to meet with my undergraduates in a couple of hours, and we'll see how that goes.

In the meantime, I'm beginning to negotiate my living arrangements.  I was assigned a flat in Mutare in an apartment complex owned by AU and used primarily for staff and their families.  Initially it had some problems--no hot water, no light in the bathroom, broken windows with holes large enough for monkeys to come in and help themselves to my things if they so choose.  I'm slowly getting through the list of what needs to be fixed to make it habitable, and in the meantime thanking God for the electric tea kettle that has been my only source of hot water this past week.  I've learned to take the bus the 10 miles to the campus, though for the most part I ride with a lecturer from health sciences.  I'm doing most laundry by hand, but have just received permission to take clothing to the campus laundry where, for a fee of $2-$4, they'll do it for me.  The university has also agreed to send someone to clean my apartment weekly and change linens, for which the univeristy is responsible.

I kind of like being in the city.  It's easier for me to get food, and there's an internet cafe nearby that I can use for $1 an hour when I become too frustrated with the uncertainty of internet access on campus.  I have a small balcony (about 4 x 5') outside my third story apartment, and I can sit out there in the mornings and evenings to eat and watch the people and wildlife.  There are many interesting birds, and one morning I saw a troop of seven monkeys cross the road in front of me.  I've been welcomed into a Presbyterian church that has services in English.  Last Sunday the pastor did a Wesleyan covenant service to start the new year, so I felt right at home.  Last night I started participating in a weekly home group/Bible study with some people from that church.

So, over all, things are going well at this point.  I'm reading a lot about reproductive health care in Africa from sources that were not available to me in the US, and am learning a lot.

Remember that I'm still available on email at Maggie8337@cox.net.  I especially encourage you to write me with questions you may have about this experience, which I can then address in future blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment