Saturday, May 5, 2012

The End of my Blog-- for now

As I indicated in an earlier post, difficulties with my temporary employment permit put me in a position of choosing between a planful exit a month earlier than I had anticipated or spending several days and about $1000 of the university's money to renew my tourist visa and to continue to assume that I would not be hassled for teaching with it.  I was so close to finishing in the time frame of my first tourist visa that I opted to have one extra class period per class the week of April 9 and to leave Zimbabwe April 14th, the day before my tourist visa was set to expire.

People have asked me about the experience overall and whether I would do something like this again.  My answer is that I learned a great deal, got to work with some very interesting (and interested) students, met some people whom I will count as friends for the rest of my life, and overall had a good experience.  I told the vice chancellor and the dean that I would be happy to return to Africa University again, perhaps even next year, if (1) the temporary employment permit situation can be sorted out  and (2) if the political situation permits. I don't want to spend money and 4 days out of every 30 to maintain a status that is not meant for teaching, even volunteer teaching, and which might lead to difficulties with the government.  I have a crystal ball that is notoriously cloudy, and I don't know what the political situation holds for Zimbabwe.  I can imagine some scenarios in which it would be possible to return next year, and some in which that would not be prudent.  I'll just have to wait to see.

For now, I have nothing more that I want to write for this blog.  If you're reading this post, it's a fair bet that it's the last. . . until the next time.  Thanks for reading!  Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment